A nutritious power breakfast is important to start your day right. It gives you the energy boost to get your day started, priming you for the rest of the day. Evidence suggests that breakfast consumption may improve cognitive function.
Our nutritionist. Jean, advocates consumption of a healthy breakfast on a daily basis and these should ideally consist of a variety of foods, especially high-fiber and nutrients-dense whole grains, fruits, and low-fat dairy products.
Read on to unveil some of these nutritious breakfast recipes by Jean that are suitable for the Asian palate.
Kick-start your day with some nutritious whole grains to boost your nutritional intake. Whole grains such as oats and barley contain beta-glucan, a type of fibre that has been shown to help lower cholesterol when eaten on a regular basis.
Any oatmeal is a healthy choice – whether it is steel-cut oats, rolled or instant versions. Just bear in mind to choose the non-flavoured ones as the flavoured versions are very much sugar and hence calorie laden. Sprinkle some wheat germ on it for extra nutrition goodness. Just two tablespoons of wheat germ provide about 15 percent of your recommended daily intake of Vitamin E and 10 percent of your recommended daily intake of Folate.
Finally, for that extra boost of fibre, vitamins and flavour, you can top it off with some of your favourite fruits!
Preparation Time: ~5 minutes • Cooking Time: ~5 minutes • Serves: ~18
• 300g oatmeal
• 300g barley flakes
• Honey (optional)
• Wheat germ (optional)
• Fruits of your choice (optional)
1. In batches, toast the oatmeal and barley in a large frying pan for 5 minutes until golden, then leave to cool, and store in an airtight container (can be kept for up to six months).
2. When you want to have it, combine 50g of the porridge mixture in a saucepan with 300ml milk or water. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring intermittently, then top with a drizzle of honey, wheat germ and fruits if you would like.
Bite-sized Wholesome Pizza
Whip up nutritious, wholesome bite-sized pizza made from wholegrain wholemeal bread topped with other nutrition goodness from low-fat cheese, meat and vegetables the effortless way. This recipe is so yummy and easy to prepare that we are sure you will love it.
Preparation Time: ~10 minutes • Cooking Time: ~10 minutes • Serves: 1
• 2 slices wholemeal bread
• 2 slices low-fat cheese
• 2 tbsp chicken cubes or canned tuna
• 4 white mushroom, sliced
• ¼ capsicum (yellow or green), diced
1. Toast wholemeal bread in the toaster.
2. Top it up with low-fat cheese, chicken cubes/tuna, mushrooms, capsicum.
3. Bake this in the oven until the cheese is melted and nice.
Berry Healthy Yoghurt
Enjoy this delicious do-it-yourself yoghurt treat rich in calcium good for your bones. It is easy to prepare and yummy and healthy too!
Preparation Time: ~10 minutes • Serves: 4
• 200g low-fat yoghurt
• 6 medium strawberries, hulled and sliced
• 100ml sugar-reduced soy milk
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the yoghurt, strawberries and soy milk.
2. Mix well.
3. Serve straight or refrigerate for ~20 minutes before serving it chilled.
Categories: Beauty with a DifferenceTags: breakfast, easy weight loss, food, health breakfast, healthy, healthy diet, healthy eating, healthy food, healthy lifestyle, nutrition, nutrition singapore, nutritionist, nutritionist singapore, weight loss, weight loss for children, weight loss for men, weight loss for women