By Jean Tong, Nutritionist, Halley Medical Aesthetics
It is that time of the year again, the mid-year school break. One whole month to unwind, recharge and get some family bonding going. Why not try out new healthy easy-to-prepare meals or snacks recipes in the June school holidays?
Here are some healthy recipes ideas:
Rainbow-full of Fruits Skewers
These colourful vitamin-packed fruits skewers are a simple and fun way to get the kids to eat more fruits!
Preparation Time (No cooking needed): 15 minutes
- 7 blackberries
- 7 blueberries
- 7 green grapes
- 7 chunks of peeled kiwi
- 7 cubes of peeled mango
- 7 chunks of peeled pineapple
- 7 red grapes
- 7 strawberries
- Segments of tangerine
- Take 7 wooden skewers and thread the fruits onto each.
Keep younger kids’ brains ticking this holiday by getting them to add up the different fruits as they thread them all in.
Recipe Source: BBC Good Food
Turkey Pepper Pitas
Kids will love this tasty snack, and we bet they do not know it’s healthy too!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g turkey breast steak, cut into strips
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- Handful lettuce
- 2 wholemeal pitta bread, toasted and halved to form pockets
- 2 tbsp plain low-fat yoghurt
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan, and fry the turkey for ~5-6 minutes.
- Add in the peppers and spring onions, and stir-fry until the turkey is cooked.
- Divide the avocado and lettuce between the pita halves, then spoon in the turkey and pepper mix. Add in the yoghurt to each pita halves, and it is now ready to be served.
Get your kids to help with writing the shopping list for the ingredients, and educate them on the good nutrition facts of these foods!
Recipe source: BBC Good Food
Blueberry Banana Smoothie
Let your kids make their very own healthy fruits smoothie – packed with the goodness of fruits and calcium-packed dairy today!
Preparation Time (No cooking needed): 5 minutes
- 1 small banana
- 7 blueberries
- 3 tbsp low-fat yoghurt
- 3 tbsp skimmed or low-fat high-calcium milk
- Slice the banana into the food processor
- Add in the blueberries, yoghurt and milk
- Blend for about 5 minutes until it turns completely smooth
- Pour into a glass and enjoy the goodness of it!
Get your kids to learn about the importance and goodness of consuming a wide variety of fruits of different colours the fun way!
Recipe source: Whole Foods Market